There’s nothing quite like a calming cup of jasmine tea. It’s fabulous after a long day of work and for a good night’s sleep. While many people assume that jasmine tea is an “herbal tea,” it’s actually not. It’s a normal tea (green, white, black, or oolong) that is flavored with jasmine flowers. So what are some jasmine tea benefits?
History of Jasmine Tea
Jasmine tea was one of the most popular types of tea to appear in China during the Song Dynasty, which ended in the 13th century A.D. Originally, it was mainly reserved for royalty but quickly became popular with the masses. It is now a common export to the West.
Making Jasmine Tea
Jasmine tea can be made in any number of ways. Some are made with loose-leaf teas, while others are in tea bags, such as the Jasmine Pearl, made from two tea buds and one tea leaf.
Making jasmine tea is all about scenting. Scenting can be as simple as creating a mixture of tea that includes jasmine flowers or using a complex air-filtering system to create an aromatic mix for a pure, light taste. You can even add jasmine tea extra to your drinks for a unique option.
Jasmine Tea Benefits
There are many health benefits to jasmine tea, which is why it’s so popular. Some of those benefits include:
- Antioxidant Properties: Jasmine tea is high in antioxidants, most notably catechins. Antioxidants work within the body to detect and destroy harmful agents and free radicals that can cause disease and compromise the immune system.
- Cardiovascular Health: Consuming jasmine tea can help you reduce bad cholesterol and lower your blood pressure to help prevent long-term threats like heart disease.
- Cancer Prevention: Research suggests that drinking jasmine tea can help prevent cancer, thanks to its many polyphenols like EGCG, which are key lines of defense against free radicals and carcinogenic invaders.
- Stress Relief: Your sense of smell can be directly related to your emotions. Studies have shown that the odor of jasmine can help you relax and improve your mood.
- Weight Loss: Jasmine tea is a great addition to any diet. The antioxidant properties in the tea and boost your metabolism, so you body processes nutrients more efficiently.