At one point or another, we all want to lose weight. Whether you’ve just come back from an extended vacation and have a few pounds to lose or you’re just looking to slim down and tone up, burning fat is key. While working out is important, so is what you eat. We’ve collected our top ten favorite fat burning foods to help you get started.
- Whole Grains: Your body burns twice as many calories breaking down whole grain foods like oatmeal and brown rice compared to processed foods.
- Fish: Fish, like salmon, is high in omega-3 fatty acids, which are rich in protein and help you burn calories. Choose sardines, salmon, or halibut.
- Nuts: Nuts are a great source of magnesium, which is extremely weight loss friendly.
- Ginger: Ginger has been used for centuries to boost calories burned and to reduce inflammation.
- Avocado: Avocado is high in monosaturated fats, which can be readily burned during exercise and encourage additional fat burning.
- Water: Water is your greatest ally in fighting body fat. Drinking two cups of cold water can boost your metabolic rate by 30%.
- Flaxseed: Flaxseed contains essential omega-3 fatty acids that have been found to turn on genes that stimulate fat burning while turning off the genes that store fat.
- Honey: Yes, honey contains sugar, but it also helps keep you insulin levels low, which is critical for a fat-burning environment in your body.
- Eggs: Research has shown that people who start their day with an egg not only eat fewer calories throughout the day but also burn more body fat.
- Olive Oil: Olive oil is a great source of monosaturated fats, which are more likely to be burned as body fuel.