Full of fibre and protein, this will warm any hungry belly up.
* 500g organic yellow split peas
* 7 cups of vegetable stock
* 2 brown oinions, peeled and diced
* fresh ginger, approx 5cm piece
* 1 to 1.5 tsp marjoram or organic thyme
* 1kg port hock (optional)
- Soak the peas in plenty of water for 12 to 18 hours, then drain.
- Put the peas in a large pot on the stove and add the stock,chopped onions, ginger cut into a few pieces and the pork hock.
- Boil for 1 to 1.5 hours, adding the herbs after about 45 minutes, until the peas are soft and the soup has thickened.
- Pick up the hock and cut into bite sized pieces, put back into the soup.
- Add salt and pepper if desired.