Dinner: Zoodle Broccoli Bowl with Avocado Basil Pesto Sauce
These zucchini noodles are super creamy, refreshing, and delicious. The recipe is packed full of nutrients, fiber, and healthy fats. The fiber content supports your body to eliminate the hormones it no longer needs, preventing a build-up of extra hormones like oestrogen, which can contribute to period pain and PMS.
(Makes 2 servings)
· 2 medium zucchinis
· 2/3 package tempeh, crumbled
· 2 cups broccoli florets
· 1.5 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
· Optional – 2-3 tbsp pine nuts, toasted
For the Pesto
· 1 small avocado
· 3-4 cloves garlic
· 1 ½ cup fresh basil
· 1 ½ fresh lemons, juiced
· 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
· 2 tbsp cashews
· 2 tbsp pine nuts
· 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (or avocado oil)
· Pinch salt and pepper
1. Spiralize zucchinis, then add to a large bowl with cherry tomatoes and pine nuts. Set aside.
2. Place crumbled tempeh in a large skillet over medium-high heat and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until every side is lightly browned.
3. Add 1-2 inches of water to a medium-sized pot. Add steamer basket and place broccoli in the basket. Bring water to a boil and cover to steam for about five minutes, or until soft.
4. Meanwhile, make the pesto sauce by combining all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth and creamy.
5. To assemble, add pesto to the zucchini noodles, and mix everything well together. Top with tempeh and steamed broccoli.
Note: This recipe is made with raw zucchini noodles. If you want to cook them, add the zucchini noodles to a skillet and sauté them over medium heat for 1-2 minutes. Overcooked zucchini will result in soft and mushy noodles.
Image via Pinterest.
For more Healthy Recipes, follow Lauren Dias on Social Media: