Are you looking for a hearty and healthy side dish? We love these twice-baked potatoes filled with broccoli and kale. Not only do they make an irresistible dish, but by reducing the cheese and adding veggies, they’re also satisfying and offer plenty of nutritional value. If you want, you can swap out the kale for spinach and include in a little bit of roasted garlic for extra oomph.
Check out this delicious Twice-Baked Broccoli and Kale Stuffed Potatoes recipe from Greatist and guest poster, Katie Morris.
- 2 russet potatoes
- 1 cup cooked broccoli (steam or roast)
- 6 large Tuscan kale leaves
- ½ cup milk
- 2 – 3 tablespoons cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
- Wash the potatoes thoroughly, making sure to scrub off all dirt. Then, dry and poke each potato with a fork several times. Make sure you press deep into the potato flesh.
- Place the potatoes on a baking tray and bake for 50-60 minutes, until tender. Remove from the oven.
- While the potatoes are cooking, prep the kale leaves by washing, drying, and removing the thick inner stems. Then, chop the leaves.
- Boil a pot of water. Cook the kale leaves in the boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain and run under cold water to stop the cooking process. Set aside.
- Slice the potatoes lengthwise and then scoop out the insides but make sure to leave at least ¼ of the potato flesh still attached to the skin (if you take too much the skin will fall apart).
- Put the potato insides into a blender along with broccoli, kale, and milk. Blend until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Scoop the pureed potato, broccoli, and kale mixture back into the empty potato skins and then sprinkle with grated cheese. Return the potatoes to the baking sheet and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Finally, change the oven setting to broil and cook for a final three minutes until the cheese turns brown.
- Remove from the oven and serve.