This is a delicious high-protein alternative to traditional Spanish rice from allrecipes.com. However, we’ve added our own twists and kicks for a filling and healthy recipe. It’s a great side dish for any meal, or a perfect replacement for any rice filler.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can of tomatoes
- 1 can of black beans (rinsed)
- 2 ¼ cups of vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Heat the coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in the quinoa, onion, garlic, and green pepper. Cook and stir 5 to 10 minutes or until the onion is tender and the quinoa is lightly toasted.
- Stir in the tomatoes, vegetable broth, and add the seasonings. Bring everything to a boil and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer—stirring occasionally—until the quinoa is tender and the liquid is absorbed—about 30 minutes. About 5 minutes before the quinoa is done, add in the can of black beans.
- We also recommend adding lime, cilantro, and salt to taste. You can also replace the canned tomatoes with salsa and add additional peppers for and even bigger kick.