If you’re looking for a meal that’s a little Asian and a little Italian, we’ve got you covered. Unique and delicious, this Rice Noodle Salad with Chicken recipe is the perfect meal when you want something quick and light. Thanks, Food & Wine for the great recipe.
- 4 scallions (Thinly slice the white and light green parts. Keep the dark greens in reserve)
- 3 lemongrass stalks (smash with the flat side of a knife)
- ¼ cup minced fresh ginger
- ½ cup Asian fish sauce
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (halved lengthwise)
- 2 Serrano chiles (seeded and thinly sliced)
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ cup mirin
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 1 pound pad thai rice noodles
- 1 small jicama (about 1 pound peeled and cut into fine matchsticks)
- ¼ pound mung bean sprouts
- Lime wedges
- In a soup pot, combine the dark scallion green with lemongrass, 2 tablespoons of ginger, and 2 tablespoons of fish sauce. Add 8 cups of water and bring to a boil. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the chicken and simmer the pot over low heat for about 10 minutes, until the meat is just cooked. Remove the chicken.
- Strain the liquid into a heatproof bowl and let it cool.
- Shred the chicken and add it to the liquid. Refrigerate overnight.
- In a small bowl, combine the chiles, garlic, sugar, mirin, vinegar, remaining 2 tablespoons of ginger, and 6 tablespoons of fish sauce. Refrigerate overnight.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Cook the noodle for about 6 minutes, until al dente. Drain and cool under running water.
- Cut the noodles into 6-inch lengths and pat dry.
- Transfer the noodles to a bowl and add the jicama, bean sprouts, sliced scallions, and the dressing (what you made the night before).
- Drain the chicken and add it on top along with the peanuts, cilantro, and lime wedges (to taste).
Time(Other): Plus Overnight Chilling