Mushy peas are an absolute delight to the taste buds.
Not only are they incredible for the digestive system, they are also packed with nutrients. This tasty recipe is ‘kid friendly’ – meaning they may even gobble up a whole bowl without realising they are eating ‘vegetables’!!!
Our personal favourite is adding a semi poached egg on the top of this dish. Once served, give someone the honour of cracking the egg and letting the yolk pour into the peas. Simply delicious!
- 90gm butter
- coarsely chopped 3golden shallots,
- thinly sliced garlic clove finely chopped
- 500 ml (2 cups) chicken stock
- 150gm dried split peas, rinsed
- 500gm frozen peas, defrosted
- 40ml malt vinegar, or to taste
- Heat 30gm butter in a saucepan over medium heat, add shallot and garlic, stir occasionally until tender (4-5 minutes).
- Add stock and dried split peas, bring to the boil, reduce heat to medium, simmer until tender (40-45 minutes).
- Add the peas and simmer until tender (1-2 minutes)
- Add vinegar, season to taste.
- Transfer the solids to a food processor (reserve liquid), add remaining butter, pulse, adding a little reserved liquid, until coarsely puréed