Sometimes you just want a burger! When that craving hits, don’t head to the nearest fast food joint. Instead, head into your kitchen and cook up our deliciously healthy Burger with Mushroom and Radicchio Recipe from Health.com. The recipe delivers a great-tasting meal for under 500 calories. Plus, it’s packed with protein and fiber to fulfill your nutritional needs.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound mixed exotic mushrooms, trimmed
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ¼ pounds ground sirloin (or ground turkey)
- 4 (2-ounce) whole-wheat or multi-grain hamburger buns
- 1 small head radicchio, sliced into thin rings
- In a large, nonstick skillet heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add in the mushrooms, ¼ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, and cook. Stir the mixture until the mushrooms are tender and golden—about 4 – 6 minutes. Transfer mushrooms to a separate plate.
- With clean hands or gloves, form the meat into 4 patties. Sprinkle each patty with the remaining ½ teaspoon pepper on both sides.
- Place the burgers in the mushroom skillet and cook on medium-high heat until the inside is medium (approximately 5 – 6 minutes each side). Or, cook until your meat thermometer reads 160 degrees F in the center.
- Remove the burgers from the pan and place on the bottom buns. Then, cover each burger with ¼ of the radicchio slices and ¼ of the mushrooms. Top with the final half of the bun.