Last blog we talked about getting happy. Now, we’re talking about dealing with disappointment. Let’s be honest, you can strive to be happy all your want, but when things go wrong and disappointment strikes, it’s not always easy to bounce back. Disappointment can lead to anxiety issues and a spiral of unhappiness. So, how can you better deal when disappointment strikes?
- Acknowledge Your Feelings: If you’re disappointed by something that happened, acknowledge what you’re feeling and don’t just push it aside. When you’re honest with yourself and accept where you are, it’s easier to think yourself out of the situation.
- Keep Perspective: Rarely is a disappointment life-changing. No matter what news you get, the first thing you need to do is take a step back and look at the bigger picture. By taking time to reflect on the situation, you’ll be better able to handle the disappointment and your anxiety issues as a result.
- Don’t Doubt Yourself: One small setback does not mean you’re a failure. Keep trying. Keep pushing forward. Remember that you are an incredible person and you can learn from your mistakes and try again. “Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself.” –Cicero
- Reassess: Sometimes when you’re disappointed, it’s a sign that something needs to change. Reassess your priorities and determine if you need to make minor or major changes in your life.
- Remember Why: When you feel disappointed and discouraged, it’s helpful to remember why you chose your particular path in the first place. Once you remember why the struggle is worth it, you’ll be able to push through.
- Don’t Give Up: Just as you shouldn’t doubt yourself, you shouldn’t throw in the towel. All 12 major publishers rejected Harry Potter before someone gave JK Rowling a chance. Never give up on yourself or your dreams.
Yours in wellness,