We’ve all been there. You’re trying to eat healthier and cut out the sweets when all of a sudden you’re slammed with a sugar craving that leaves you running for the candy drawer. Unfortunately, giving into your sugar craving is the exact opposite of what you want to do. Why?
Sugar is addictive. It fuels every cell in your brain, and your brain sees it as a reward. So, the more sugar you eat, the more you reinforce the reward system and make the habit more difficult to break.
Sugar also works in a cycle. Sugar is quickly turned into glucose in your body. Your body needs to move glucose out of the bloodstream and into your cells for energy. Thus, your body tries to remove sugar quickly, resulting in a blood sugar crash. That’s why you feel terrible a little while after eating a lot of sugar. During the crash, you’ll crave more sugar to re-boost your energy and it will start all over again.
The best thing you can do when you’re dealing with a sugar craving is to replace your desire for sugar with something else. Don’t satisfy your craving and eat a candy bar, instead, try to give your body the sweet taste it needs by enjoying something healthier.
Curb Your Sugar Cravings
- Fruit: While you shouldn’t eat a lot of fruit, try grabbing a handful of fresh berries or mixing pureed fruit onto your oatmeal in the morning.
- Low-Sugar Yogurt: A cup of low-sugar yogurt can satisfy your sweet tooth and give your body probiotics instead of a sugar crash.
- Protein: Protein is a great way to curb your sugar cravings. It won’t spike your blood sugar like carbs and will help you feel full, longer.
- Choose Natural: Instead of eating white sugar, try using honey, stevia, agave, maple syrup, and the like to cut out white sugar from your diet.
Tea and Sugar Cravings
At Your Tea, we love to avoid sugar by indulging in our favorite teas. Most of our Café Teas are naturally sweet and delicious so you can avoid the soda and grab a cup of tea instead. A few of our favorites are:
- Dreamy Hazelnut: Our Dreamy Hazelnut tea tastes like praline and vanilla. A much better choice than a candy bar.
- Apple Nut Crumble: If you’re trying to avoid that next slice of apple pie, grab a cup of Apple Nut Crumble instead. It’s nutty, cinnamon, and apple flavor profile is indulgent and satisfying.
- Coconut Sencha: There’s no doubt that green tea mixed with coconut pieces is a sensual and sweet delight.
- Choc Nirvana: Instead of a chocolate bar, grab a cup of Choc Nirvana and get all the sweet you need without the sugar.
- Black Honey Heaven: Honey is always a nice twist on sugar, and our delectable Black Honey Heaven will leave your taste buds in love.