You can tell a lot about a person by their hands, and elegant, strong nails play a large part. If you’ve always wanted healthy, well-groomed, beautiful nails, we’ve got 9 tips to get you started.
- Leave Your Cuticles Alone: Stop manipulating and cutting your cuticles, they’re a natural barrier to fungus and bacteria that you need.
- Avoid Nail Hardeners: You might think that putting on nail hardener helps make your nails stronger. The truth is it makes them more brittle.
- Moisturize Your Nails: Placing a little bit of oil on your nail and cuticles will reduce chipping, cracking, and splitting for beautiful nails.
- Limit Your Manicures: That’s right, we said it. While manicures and pedicures are wonderfully pampering, they’re not very good for your nails.
- Stop Using Acetone: Yes, we know. Certain nail polish only comes off with acetone-based nail polish remover, but it strips your nail.
- Use Green Tea: Come on, this one is easy. After you brew a cup of tea to drink, reuse the tea bag for the perfect nail soak. Green tea removes the yellow coloring in your nails and makes them strong and healthy.
- Avoid Rough Emery Boards: You can file your nails with a smooth, fine file but avoid the rough back and forth of an orange emery board, which causes breakage.
- Stop Cleaning: Okay, you can’t stop cleaning your house and dishes completely, but start using gloves when you use harsh chemicals and stop frequently washing your hands—all of it dries out your nails.
- Change Shampoos: Did you know that your shampoo could be damaging your nails? Change out your detergent-based shampoo for something less harsh.