Winter weather is tough on your skin. Cold weather and low humidity dries out the air and your skin suffers as a result. This winter, instead of just watching your skin crack, peel, and turn rough, keep it happy and healthy with our winter skincare tips.
- Wash in Lukewarm Water: While hot baths and showers feel great in the cold, if you can stand lukewarm water, particularly when just washing your hands, you’ll be better off. Lukewarm water avoids stripping oils from your skin.
- Moisturize Immediately: Don’t wait to apply moisturizer every time after you wash. Applying moisturizer to damp skin helps to seal in extra moisture.
- Choose the Right Moisturizer: Not all moisturizers are created equal. For winter skincare choose oil-based instead of water-based lotions and even look for naturally hydrating ingredients like lavender, chamomile, jojoba, and more. Try this homemade moisturizer from Live Simply.
- Protect Your Skin: Spending a lot of time in the cold without gloves can be killer for your skin. Protect your exposed skin with scarves and gloves and use sunscreen.
- Stay Hydrated: For some reason in the winter we think that we don’t need as much water. That’s not true at all. Keep drinking water. It’s also fine to turn to tea, like our Antioxidant Tea, to keep you hydrated and healthy.
- Eat Right: You can make a big difference in your winter skincare by changing what you eat. Honey and milk-based products can be increasing your skin’s moisture levels. Add a little to your morning oatmeal or afternoon tea.
- Exfoliate: Don’t let your dead skin cells build up in the winter. Use an exfoliating mask on your hands and face to keep your skin smooth and better able to accept your moisturizer.
- Change Your Cleanser: During the winter, your cleanser might be too harsh for your skin. Avoid cleansers with glycolic or salicylic acid when it’s already dry out and stick with moisturizing ingredients.
Yours in healthy skin,
Image via @kai.boet