Sometimes you just need a heaping spoonful of noodles, cheesy goodness, and delicious meat. When you’re craving pasta, you don’t always have to say, “no.” Instead, check out World’s Best Lasagna recipe by MakeItHealthy. She keeps all the things you love but uses lean ground turkey and turkey sausage for the meat. She also cuts out the egg and salt, and substitutes lite mozzarella. But, don’t worry, she keeps ALL the flavor.
- 1 pound turkey sausage
- ¾ pound lean ground turkey
- ½ cup minced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 (6.5 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- ½ cup water
- 1 ½ teaspoons basil
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- ¾ pound low fat mozzarella
- ¾ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the turkey sausage, ground turkey, onion, and garlic for about 15 minutes—until browned. Stir often.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, water, basil, fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, pepper, and parsley. Simmer, uncovered, for about 1.5 hours. Stir occasionally to keep from burning.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- In a large pot, bring 5-6 cups of salted water to a boil. Add the lasagna noodles. Stir occasionally until the noodles are firm to bite, but cooked through—about 8 minutes. Drain the noodles.
- Grab a large 9x13 baking dish. Spread 1.5 cups of the turkey mixture on the bottom. Layer 6 noodles lengthwise over the sauce. Layer on ½ the ricotta over the noodles. Layer on 1/3 of the mozzarella cheese. Next, spoon 1.5 cups turkey sauce over the mozzarella. Then, cover with ¼ cup parmesan cheese.
- Repeat the layers outlined in #5—starting with the noodles—and then top with the remaining mozzarella and parmesan cheeses.
- Cover with aluminum foil, but avoid touching the cheese to keep from sticking.
- Place the dish in the over and cook for about 25 minutes, until the sauce is hot and the cheese is melted.
- Then, remove the foil and cook for another 25 minutes to brown the cheese.
- Remove and allow to cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Image via Pinterest