Sometimes you just need a big bowl full or carbs and when that’s the case, we recommend our delicious and healthy vegetable pasta with roasted cauliflower and Brussels sprouts. It might sound too healthy to be delicious, but we guarantee that you’ll be surprisingly pleased. We found the original recipe at RealSimple but modified it for an even better dish.
- ¾ pound rigatoni or other small pasta (think penne or bowtie)
- ½ medium cauliflower head (about 1 pound)
- 8 ounces Brussels sprouts
- 1 medium red onion
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic
- ½ cup grate pecorino cheese (parmesan works as well)
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- Heat your oven to 450 degrees F.
- Cut the cauliflower into small florets. Trim and halve the Brussels sprouts. Cut the onion into ½ inch wedges
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions and, when draining, keep 1 cup of the cooking water.
- In a bowl, toss the cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, onion, thyme, 2 tablespoons of oil, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper. Then, spread out the mixture on two large baking sheets to roast.
- Place the vegetables into the oven and cook for 15-20 minutes, rotating once. Cook the vegetables until they are golden brown and tender—do not char.
- Add the vegetables, pecorino (parmesan), ½ cup of cooking water, and remaining oil to the past and toss to combine. Add additional cooking water if pasta appears dry.
- Serve sprinkled with additional cheese, salt and pepper, and red pepper flakes.