For an affordable alternative to rib eye steak, try the ultra-tender flat iron steak. It’s delicious and only 216 calories! The Mojo Flat Iron Steak recipe from My Recipes should soothe all of your meat cravings without leaving you in a food coma. It’s perfect paired with a cup of brown rice or with a sweet potato and asparagus on the side. Thinly sliced, it also makes a great taco filling.
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lime rind
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle powder
- 1 (1-pound) flat iron steak, trimmed
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped peeled seeded cucumber
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- Combine the orange rind, orange juice, lime rind, 2 TBS lime juice, 1 TBS oil, garlic, brown sugar, chili powder, and chipotle powder in a bowl. Stir with a whisk.
- Add the steak to the seasonings and coat well. Let it stand for 30 minutes at room temperature, turning occasionally to keep both sides coated.
- Heat a grill pan on high heat and coat in cooking spray.
- Remove the steak from the seasoning and sprinkle with ½ TSP salt. Then, add the steak to the pan and grill for 5 minutes on each side (medium rare).
- Take the steak off the grill, let stand for 5 minutes, and then slice across the grain in small strips.
- Combine the remaining 1 TBS lime juice, 1 TBS oil, and 1/2 TSP salt with the chopped bell pepper, cucumber, red onion, cilantro, and jalapeño.
- Serve the steak with a side of the topping, or pour it over the top.