Hearty tomato soup
A brilliant stomach warmer and best friend to a piece of thick, crusty rye bread!
- 2 TBSP butter
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 (15 oz.) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 3 c. chicken broth (can use vegetable broth)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig of fresh rosemary, plus 1 tsp., minced
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 c. Greek yogurt
- Zest of one lemon
- Additional rosemary and lemon zest, for garnish
- In a large soup pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrots, and garlic and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add the beans, tomatoes, broth, bay leaf, 1 teaspoon rosemary, and red pepper flakes. Bring the soup to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, covered.
- Puree the soup with an immersion blender or in a regular blender in batches, being careful to remove and discard the bay leaf. Return the soup to a soup pot and keep warm over low heat. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl fold in the lemon zest and the remaining teaspoon of rosemary to 2/3 cup Greek yogurt.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and dollop each bowl with the lemon rosemary yogurt. garnish with a small amount of additional lemon zest and rosemary, if desired. Serve immediately.