Chia seeds are bursting with goodness, they’ve been around for centuries, having roots in South American diets; though have become a bit of a ‘thing’ more recently.
Bursting with nutrients, a according to Authority Nutrition 2 tablespoons of chia seeds will provide you with:
Fibre: 11 grams
Protein: 4 grams
Fat: 9 grams (5 of which are Omega-3s)
Calcium: 18% of the RDA
Manganese: 30% of the RDA
Magnesium: 30% of the RDA
Phosphorus: 27% of the RDA
They also contain considerable amounts of Zinc, Vitamin B1, B2, B3 and Potassium.
It’s obvious why they’ve become so popular.
They absorb fluid, so they make a great pudding, this delicious dessert will satisfy even the most intense sweet cravings, and is a great breakfast option too.
- 2 tbsp chia seeds, any colour
- 1 cup of coconut or almond milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cacao powder
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 mango
- Warm the milk and honey slowly on the stove, until combined. This is just to ensure the honey melts and mixes nicely with the milk. You can do this cold if you prefer to keep things raw.
- Add cacao powder and cinnamon, mix well.
- Add chia seeds and stir, leave for up to 1 minute, stir again. Leave for 30 seconds, stir again. Use a whisk or fork to stir rapidly and ensure the seeds don’t stick together.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl or glass, then leave to set in the fridge.
- Slice mango and add to serve.