Tifaine Ellis of Tea and Tanning shares her hearty recipe with us.
"The only thing I really like about winter is enjoying a warm bowl of hearty soup. I love vegetable soup as it’s a great way to get in a ton of veggies, and it’s a fulling meal due to the fiber content of the vegetables.
This soup recipe is Vegan and Gluten free, and is delicious with a side of wholemeal toast. This recipe serves one, so double or triple the ingredients if you want to make more than one serving. Additionally, you could substitute the coconut cream for another liquid such as soy milk or vegetable stock. You could also garnish with dairy-free yoghurt or fresh herbs."
- One carrot
- One small – medium sweet potato
- 1/2 Cup of chickpeas
- 1/2 Cup of full fat coconut cream
- 1/2 Small yellow bell pepper (or capsicum if you’re from Australasia)
- 1/4 Small onion
- Ginger (to taste)
- Chop up the carrot, capsicum, and sweet potato and steam until soft
- Once the vegetables are soft, remove from the heat and leave to cool
- Saute onion using either a non-stick pan, or extra virgin coconut oil
- Place vegetables and chickpeas in a blender or food processor, adding the coconut cream and an additional 1/2 cup of water
- Add in as much or as little ginger as you would like
- Blend until the consistency is thick and smooth
- Pour soup mixture into a pan and heat until it reaches a desired temperature
- Serve with some wholemeal/gluten free toast or brown rice for a fulling and healthy meal