Some days are great. Some days feel like the end of life as we know it! We’ve all been there. You know what we’re talking about. Those days when from the moment you wake up, all you want to do is go back to bed.
Crawling under the covers and pretending like the world doesn’t exist isn’t always an option. Instead, when you’re forced to get out of bed and head into the office, even when life sucks, you’ve got to be able to push through. When grinning and bearing it doesn’t cut it, we’ve got 19 tips for survival.
- Get the “bad stuff” done first. Don’t put off the things you hate. Get them out of the way so you can move on.
- Bring a treat to the office. Make your favorite cup of tea and put it in our travel teaware to take with you. That way, you can enjoy it throughout the morning.
- Eat breakfast. Eating a healthy meal in the morning can help brighten your outlook, or at least make it more bearable.
- Find the humor in life. Let’s be honest, sometimes the commute to the office is teeth grinding. Instead of cursing out the annoying drivers, find humor in their inability to drive like rational human beings.
- Write a note to yourself. Before you leave the house, send an email to yourself that is encouraging and motivational. Wait to open it until you really need it.
- Go outside often. If the workday is really kicking your a**, grab your teaware and go outside as often as you can, even if it’s just for ten minutes. Sun, fresh air, and quiet time can help you keep going.
- Look at photos on your phone. When work gets hellish, take a moment to look at your friends and family on your phone. They’ll help remind you that life is okay.
- Add something fun to your calendar. Give yourself something to look forward to by marking off an hour for a yummy lunch or a call with your best friend.
- Be careful with caffeine. You might be exhausted, but too much caffeine can be harmful to your attitude. Stick with Jasmine Green Tea, not coffee.
- Find a way to vent. If you’re about to explode at the office, find a pillow to scream into, a treadmill to pound, or a piece of paper to tear into little pieces.
- Say “no.” Most of the time we get so stressed out because we don’t want to disappoint anyone. Learn to say “no” and protect yourself.
- Wear comfy clothes. If you’re having a terrible day, there’s no reason to wear a suit that makes you feel like you’re 90 years old. Instead, wear your favorite work outfit, so you feel confident and comfortable.
- Take a nap. Even if you’re at the office, you can find 20 minutes to sneak down to your car for a nap. Don’t have a car? Sneak into an empty office and crash.
- Learn to fake it. You can fake it until you make it, and it will help you keep going. Remember, you’re not alone. 71% of workers dislike their jobs.
- Imagine your vacation destination. When work really starts to get to you, take ten minutes and look up your favorite vacation destinations and imagine yourself there.
- Turn on your favorite music. Listening to music while you work can transform your attitude.
- Plan Happy Hour. It doesn’t matter if it’s 9:00 am in the morning. Grab your best work pals and plan happy hour early, then, countdown.
- Unplug throughout the day. For ten-minute increments throughout the day, unplug your phone and email so you can refresh.
- Take a walk. Grab your teaware and take a walk when things get out of control. A walk will calm you down and help you take it all in.
Terrible work days can seem endless! Don’t let your job defeat you. You are in control of your life and with a few tips, you can learn to survive anything!